"[PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE THE LAYOUT OF THE PAGE.
"You can give without loving, but you cannot love without giving." -Amy Michael
| | Meredith & Derek | |
| Relationship Stats|
| How they met: They slept together the night before she began her internship at Seattle Grace. Neither knew the other's identity until she reported for duty at the hospital the next morning.|
| Mr. And Mrs. Derek Shepherd got "married" on May 14,2009. While they exchanged vows, their marriage isn't legal.|
| Meredith and Derek officially got married in Season 7:20 "White Wedding" they got married at City Hall the same time Callie and Arizona were getting married by Miranda Bailey.|
Want to edit this Grey's Relationships
Click EasyEdit to update this page!
| Relationship Time Line|
| Season 1|
- They meet at Joe's the night before Meredith begins her internship at Seattle Grace. They end up sleeping together but don't know their identities until they meet at the hospital the next morning.
- Derek shows up at Meredith's party in S1 and they end up having sex in his car.
- Meredith and Derek do it all night in S1 and are so exhausted the next day, Derek has to use eye drops.
- Meredith discovers that Derek has a Wife (Addison).
| Season 2|
- Derek decides to not sign the divorce papers and gives his marriage a shot. Meredith tries to forget him.
- Mer and Der hook up during the 'Prom' in the S2 finale.
| Season 3|
- Meredith dates Finn and Derek to decide which one she wants and eventually picks Derek because he is her one.
- She tries to start fresh with the no sex rule and feels all "bright and shiny"
- Meredith and Derek end S3 on a bad note.
| Season 4|
- Meredith and Derek end up having "break-up sex" in an on call room. S4 premiere.
- Meredith eventually admits that she doesn't want to lose him and they try again. However it is only brief as Derek wants it more then Meredith and she realizes that she doesn't trust him.
- Derek starts dating a nurse, Rose.
- Derek and Meredith are doing a clinical trial to help people with tumors in the brain, they have killed 12 people and thanks to Meredith now possibly a 13th. Derek realizes he doesn't want to work with her because for every patient Derek and Meredith kill only Derek cares. Derek than he announces they are officially over as partners, friends, and colleges.
- In the S4 finale, Derek returns home to find Meredith outside his trailer. She performs a huge gesture to prove that she is ready for more. They kiss and Derek tells her to wait there for him so that he can break up with Rose and have a clear conscience.
| Season 5|
- Meredith and Derek move in together.
- Derek is getting ready to propose.
- After losing a patient, Derek pushes Meredith away and ultimately hits her ring into the woods while calling her damaged and un-fixable.
- Derek proposes in an elevator. Meredith agrees. They're officially engaged!
- Derek and Meredith give their wedding to Izzie and Alex, due to Izzie's decreasing health.
- Derek & Meredith got married on May 14,2009 at Seattle Grace. Their marriage, however, isn't legal as they got married by writing their wedding vows on a post-it note.
| Season 6|
- Meredith donates part of her liver to her father, Derek joins her in the OR has her concerned husband.
- Meredith calls post-it when she confides in her husband and not the chief of surgery about Chief Webber and the fact that he started drinking again.
- Meredith asks Derek to put in a good word for Izzie in at the Tacoma Hospital, Derek said there was too much water under the bridge and Tacoma passed on Izzie.
- Meredith gives Derek permission to go to the board and tell them about Richard, providing he gives a job to Izzie once he is made Chief.
- Meredith and Derek must find time for each other now that Derek is the new chief of surgery.
- Meredith now worries about Derek all the time, since the shooting Derek feels the need for more adrenaline.
- Meredith leaves Derek in lock up over night on Cristina's wedding day, so she knew exactly where he was the new for a fact he was safe and not wrapped around some telephone pole.
- Derek also gives up being Chief of Surgery.
- Derek and Meredith get married at City Hall, so they can start proceeding with the adoption of baby Zola.
- Derek blames Meredith for tampering with his clinical trial.
- Meredith now refuses to discuss the possibility of trying for another adoption. Derek is worried he will lose Meredith.
- Derek: 'I'm glad you didn't die today..... It was a Thursday morning, you were wearing that ratty little 'Dartmouth' T-shirt you look so good in, the one with the hole at the back of the neck. You'd just washed you hair and you smelled like some kind of...flower. I was running late for surgery, you said you were going to see me later, and you went to me, put your hand on my chest and you kissed me. Soft. It was quick. Kind of like a habit. You know, like we'd do it everyday for the rest of our lives. And you went back to reading the newspaper and I went to work. That was the last time we kissed." Meredith:Lavender...
- Meredith: We don't have to do the thing.
Derek: Oh, we can do anything you want!
Meredith: No, the thing. Exchange the details, pretend we care...
Meredith: Did you choose me for this surgery because I slept with you?
Derek: Yes. [Sees her face] I'm kidding.
Meredith: We should pretend it never happened.
- Derek: What never happened? You sleeping with me? Or you throwing me out this morning? Because both are fond memories I'd like to hang on to.
Meredith: No, there will be no more memories. I'm not the girl in the bar, and you're not the guy. This can't exist. You get that, right?
Derek: You took advantage of me, and you want me to forget it?
Meredith: I did not---
Derek: I was drunk, vulnerable, and good-looking, and you took advantage.
Meredith: I was the one who was drunk, and you are not that good-looking.
- DEREK: "You make out with patients now?"
MEREDITH: "What, are you jealous?"
DEREK: "I don't get jealous."
MEREDITH: "We had sex. Once."
DEREK: "And we kissed in an elevator."
MEREDITH: "And we kissed in an elevator. Once."
DEREK: "No, seriously. Go out with me."
DEREK: "You know, I almost died today. Yeah, I came like this close. How would you feel if I died and you didn't get a chance to go out with me?"
MEREDITH: "Get over yourself already."
MEREDITH: "It’s the chase, isn't it?"
MEREDITH: "The thrill of the chase. I've been wondering to myself, why are you so hell-bent on getting me to go out with you? You know you're my boss. You know it’s against the rules. You know I keep saying no. It’s the chase."
DEREK: "Well... its fun isn't it?"
MEREDITH: "You see! This is a game to you, but not to me. Because, unlike you, I still have something to prove."
- Meredith: Leave me alone!
Meredith: Just leave me alone!
Derek: I wanted to see if you were alright.
Meredith: No, I'm not alright! OK are you satisfied? I'm not alright, because you have a wife, and you call me a *****, and our dog died and your looking at me. Stop looking at me!
Derek: I'm not looking at you!
Meredith: You are looking at me! And you watch me and Finn has plans. I like Finn, he's perfect for me and I'm really trying here, to be happy. And i can't breathe, i can't breathe with you looking at me like that so just stop!
Derek: (pauses) Do you think i want to look at you? Don't you think I'd rather be looking at my wife?She doesn't drive me crazy, she doesn't make it impossible for me to feel normal, she doesn't make me sick to my stomach thinking about my veterinarian touching her with his hands!!! Man, I would give anything not to be looking at you right now! (pauses, then grabs her and kisses her! They end up having sex.)
- Meredith: "You can say anything to me"
Derek: "I want to marry you. I want to have kids with you. I want to build us a house. I want to settle down and grow old with you. I want to die when I'm 110 years old in your arms. I don't want 48 uninterrupted hours, I want a lifetime!"
- Meredith: Stupid, corny, idiotic, I can't believe I did this. Stupid, loser, son of a ... I could be at home instead of ... oh. Stupid brainman.
- Derek: Meredith...
Meredith: Where have you been?! I've been waiting and waiting for you! And I did this stupid, embarrassing, humiliating, corny thing and I was just gonna tell you that this over here is our kitchen and-- and this is our living room... And over there - that's the room where our kids could play. I had this whole thing about 'I was gonna build us a house' but I don't build houses because I'm a surgeon! And now I'm here feeling like a lame-a** loser... I got all whole and healed - And you don't show up! And now it's all ruined cos you took so long to come home! And I couldn't even find that bottle of champagne!
(Derek holds up the bottle of champagne)
Derek: (Walking towards her) This is the kitchen? Living room? Little small... But the view is much better from here. And that's the room where the kids will play? Hm... Where's our bedroom?
Meredith: I'm still mad at you. And I don't know if I trust you. I wanna trust you but I don't know if I do so I'm just gonna try, I'm gonna try and trust you. Because I believe that we can be extraordinary together rather than ordinary apart, and I wanna be-- (Derek cuts her off by kissing her.)
(After the long awaited reunion kiss)
Derek: I have to go.
Derek: In order to kiss you the way I want to kiss you, in order to do more than kiss you, I need to speak to Rose. I want my conscience clear so I can do more than kiss you. Stay here. Don't move. Wait for me.
Derek: Hey! Come on in. Derek: (pointing to a CT scan on the wall.) This is a CT of Katie Bryce. 15 year old female severed aneurysm.Meredith: From a fall during rhythmic gymnastics, I remember.Derek: It was the first surgery we ever scrubbed in together on right? Our first save. Right here is a treable cysts, tough save but we did it. I kissed you in the stairwell after the surgery. And this right here is where Dr. Bailey kicked you out of the surgery because she caught us in your driveway in my car. (Meredith laughs) And right here this was a seven-hour craniotomy and you held the clamp the entire time, never flinched. That's when I knew you were going to be an incredible surgeon. Beth made our clinical trial a success by surviving. You talked me into putting her under. That's when I knew I needed you. And this is today. The post op head CT shows Izzie Stevens. See that, right there, tumor free. Because of you. You got me into the OR. If there's a crisis you don't freeze. You move forward. You get the rest of us to move forward. Because you've seen worse. You've survived worse. And you know, we'll survive too. You say you're dark and twisty. It's not a flaw. It's a strength. It makes you, who you are. I'm not going to get down on one knee. I'm not going to ask a question. I love you Meredith Grey. And I want to spend the rest of my life, with you.Meredith: And I want to spend the rest of my life with you. (they kiss)
- (Elevator doors open revealing Derek waiting for Meredith. He has covered the walls of the elevator in CT scans.)
| Greatest Moments|
- 108 - Save Me - Derek shows Meredith his trailer (very sweet scene)
- 215 - Break On Through - Derek comforts Meredith in the supply closet.
- 217 - As We Know It - Derek comes to Meredith's house to check if she is alright after the "bomb" incident and they talk about their last kiss.
- 218 - Yesterday - Derek punches Mark for talking to Meredith! (classic moment!)
- 219- What Have I Done To Deserve This? - Derek convinces Meredith to be "just friends".'
- 227 - Losing My Religion - During the prom, Derek can't keep his eyes off Meredith and they end up having sex in an exam room. S2 finale.
- 319 - My Favorite Mistake - Derek and Meredith are laying in bed, talking about stuff. She asks him how the pain is and he replies, "8". She kisses him and asks, "How about now?" "7". More kisses. "6, 5, 4, 3..."
- 401 - A Change Is Gonna Come - Despite the fact that they just broke up, they end up having "break-up sex".
- 404- Heart Of The Matter - Among many kisses in the elevator, Derek asks Meredith to go away with him for the week-end. (He's acting very McDreamy!)
- 404 - Heart Of The Matter - Derek tells Meredith that he wants to marry her, have kids with her, grow old with her and that even though he knows she's not ready that he will wait for her.
- 410 - Crash Into Me, Part 2 - Meredith tells Derek that she doesn't want him to date anyone else because she doesn't want to lose him.
- 417 - Freedom, Part 2 - Derek comes home to find Meredith outside his trailer. She laid out the plans for their future house in candles and tells him that she will try to trust him because she thinks that they could be extraordinary together. Derek interrupts her ramblings by kissing her and then heads off to break-up with Rose.
- 505 - There's No "I" In Team - Derek gets all the credit for his and Meredith's clinical trial so they end up having a fight about it. To apologize to her, Derek gives her a kidney in a jar as a present.
- 511 - Wish You Were Here - Derek dances with Meredith in order to try and cheer her up after her fight with Christina.(Adorable!)
- 514 - Beat Your Heart Out - Derek tells Meredith that he wants her "crappy babies".
- 519 - Elevator Love Letter - Derek proposes to Meredith in an elevator! - Meredith goes into an elevator and finds Derek inside with CT scans of all the patients they saved together on the wall. He tells her that her being "dark and twisty" isn't a flaw, it's a strength that makes her who she is. He tells her he wants to spend the rest of his life with her and she says she wants to spend the rest of her life with him and they kiss! : )
| Worst Moments|
- 109 - Who's Zoomin' Who? - Addison shows up: "... and you must be the woman who's been screwing my husband."
- 206 - Into You Like A Train - Derek tells Meredith that he is staying with Addison.
- 224- Damage Case - After catching Meredith and Finn together, Derek gets really jealous and accuses Meredith of being a *****!
- 304 - What I Am - Derek says: " Finn is the better guy, Meredith. I'm walking away.", and breaks up with Meredith. (Jeez, dude.)
- 325 - Didn't We Almost Have It All? - Derek commits a major faux-pas and practically threatens Meredith with a dumping, then tells her she's the love of his life, and then is devastated when she doesn't respond. The two end S3 on a bad note.
- 401 - A Change Is Gonna Come - Meredith and Derek break up.
- 404 - Heart Of The Matter - Derek tells Meredith that while he is waiting for her to be ready, if he meets someone who is ready to give him what he wants then there is no guarantees. He also cancels their date.
- 411- Lay Your Hands On Me - Derek and Meredith break-up (This time it's for real) because Meredith says she can't trust him and he says he can't wait for her any longer.
- 517 - I Will Follow You Into The Dark - Meredith goes to Derek's trailer where he is drunk and is hitting beer cans with a baseball bat. She tells him that she's there for him and that she knows about the engagement ring but he hits the ring into the woods and tells her to leave.
The song Let Me by Pat Green describes this relationship well.
100 x 100 icons only please!