GREY'S ANATOMY EPISODE RECAP
|"A HARD DAY'S NIGHT"|
airdate: March 27, 2005
written by: Shonda Rhimes
directed by: Peter Horton
|It's a grueling and eventful first 48 hours for the new crop of surgical interns at Seattle Grace Hospital in the debut episode of Grey's Anatomy. Among the newcomers are Meredith Grey, still struggling to emerge from the shadow of her celebrated surgeon mother Ellis Grey; fiercely competitive Stanford grad Cristina Yang, who will in time become Meredith's best friend; former fashion model Isobel "Izzie" Stevens, a bit put off that she's no longer the sole center of attention; amiable, naive George O'Malley; and Alex Karev, who wastes no time proving himself to be a pompous jerk. After a pep talk from chief surgeon Richard Webber, the interns are placed in the not-so-tender care of supervising doctor Miranda Bailey, also known as "The Nazi" for reasons that become instantly obvious. During their two-day shakedown cruise, the rookies come face-to-face with the harsh realities of hospital life, with Meredith tending to a girl suffering from seizures, George enduring his first appendectomy, and Cristina finds that it's no picnic working under veteran surgeon Preston Burke. But the biggest shock of all is reserved for Meredith, when she discovers that her handsome "one-night stand" from the previous evening happens to be her new boss, Dr. Derek Shepherd!|
Read the full episode recap ►
|GREY'S ANATOMY OPENING QUOTE:|
|The game. They say a person either has what it takes to play, or they don't. My mother was one of the greats. Me, on the other hand … I'm kinda screwed.|
|GREY'S ANATOMY ENDING QUOTE:|
|I can't think of any one reason why I wanna be a surgeon, but I can think of a thousand reasons why I should quit. They make it hard on purpose. There are lives in our hands. There comes a moment when it's more than just a game. And you either take that step forward or turn around and walk away. I could quit but here's the thing, I love the playing field.|
So, I made it through my first shift. We all did. The other interns are all good people, you'd like them, I think. I don't know, maybe. I like them.
| GREY'S ANATOMY QUOTES |
Memorable Quotes, zingers and one-liners
- Cristina: Katie competes in beauty pageants.
- Derek: I know that, but we have to save her life anyway.
- (Bailey is sleeping, and Izzie needs help with something)
Izzie: Dr. Bailey, I don't mean to bother you...
Bailey (interrupts, but keeps her eyes closed): Then don't.
Izzie: It's Mr. Jones.
Bailey: Is he dying?
Bailey: Then stop talking to me. (Izzie stands up, Bailey gets up, really annoyed) What is it? (cut to Mr. Jones' room where Dr. Bailey has just finished inserting a central line. Izzie is watching) Next time you wake me he better be so close to dead there's a tag on his toe.
|GREY'S ANATOMY MUSIC|
|Portions For Foxes||Rilo Kiley|
|Into the Fire||Thirteen Senses|
|Life is Short||Butterfly Boucher|
|Ready to Rise||Vaughan Penn|
|Super Cool||Bang Sugar Bang|
|GREY'S ANATOMY MOMENTS |
Grey's Anatomy shockers, rule-breaking, grab-the-edge-of-your-seat moments....
- When Meredith discovers that the new neurosurgeon is her one night stand.
- Meredith to Derek after surgery: "That was amazing. You practice on cadavers. You observe. And you think you know what you're gonna feel like standing over that table, but that was such a high. I don't know why anybody does drugs."
|GREY'S ANATOMY EPISODE TRIVIA|
Goofs, behind the scenes facts, and little-known tidbits...
- When the interns are on the roof preparing the gurney for the incoming helicopter, Izzie's face is bare. The next shot of her shows her in glasses. In the shot after that, she isn't wearing them again.
- Out of all 20 surgical interns, only 6 were women.
- The interns have 48 hour shifts.
- Interns work every second day.
- Katie's room number was 3604.
- Tony Savitch had four children.
- Justin Chambers (Alex Karev) was not originally in the pilot.